Monday, July 28, 2014

An Ode to Ants & ADHD

true story ... enjoy!

I witnessed a most unsual sight
in my backyard today
a sprinkling of socks and a scattering of shoes
which I followed,
to my utter dismay

there under the backyard shade tree
I found my five year old son
scratching and screaming, squealing and shrieking ...

Dear Lord, What In The World Has He Done?

I scooped him up and ran into the house
all ready to dial 911
when I suddenly noticed his laughter and giggling
and the words, mom that really was fun!

What In The World Is The Matter With You?
You Gave Me Such a Fright!

mom I was just putting ants in my pants ...
I didn't know they could bite

Why Would You Put These Ants In Your Pants?
Why Couldn't You Just Let Them Be?

mom, my teacher told me I had ants in my pants
but when i looked, no ants could i see

So the next time you're pushed to your limit
consider this story of ants ...
it's best to endure a few wiggles and squirms
than to risk him losing his pants.

Karen Easter c.1998
in How to Reach & Teach Children with ADD/ADHD (2nd Ed.)
by Sandra Rief 2005



No comments:

Post a Comment